Sunday, April 10, 2011

Text Safe Areas/ Activity 10

For this activity we were supposed to create text safe areas over a background.



I continued with the brick themed background from activity 9. Here I created a solid white text safe area (0% opacity) with black text. The black text with a white background creates a bigger contrast and is easier to read.






This image is the same as the previous one but, I changed the opacity of the text safe area (25%). I think this text box is more visually appealing and it still maintains the contrast between the color of the text and the color of the text box safe area.


This image is similar to the previous one I just changed the opacity to 50%. This makes it so you can see more of the background through the text safe area. But, at 50% opacity the text safe area still maintains enough contrast from the text that it is still easy to read.


This image the opacity of the safe text area is set to 75%. This makes it easier to see the background behind the safe text area. But, the more opaque text safe area reduces the contrast between the text making it more difficult to read the text. I used a text that can be used on top of the brick without using a safe text area but if this text could not be read without a safe text area it would really difficult to read with the opacity set at 75%.



Here I used a black background with black text and a white safe text area at 75% opacity. Since you can see through the safe text area to the background there is not a lot of contrast between the text and the background making it more difficult to read.





I used the same background but set the save text area to 50% opacity and it is much easier to read. Pending on the text color and the background the safe text area will have to be set to different opacity to increase readability.




I decided to play around and create a safe text area that was not white whit text that was not black. I think this is easy to read but not very visually appealing. With a different background and different colors I think a colored safe text area can almost be incorporated into the design creating something that is more visually appealing than the original.





On page 189, there was a picture of a safe text area that did not have a solid straight edge. I tried to replicate this and created a safe text area then added glow, and changed the size and transparency until it was close to what I wanted. I think this is more visually appealing than just a rectangle safe text area that is used in the other images.

No comments:

Post a Comment