Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Activity 12/ Word Portraits

For this activity we were supposed to find a font that supports the word that we used. Then we were supposed to find a font that goes against the word we used.




 The first three words are supported by the font. The first word that I wrote was Wild West. I downloaded a western font form dafont.com because it made me think of a font that would be on a poster for a wild west show. The second word is History. I used an Old English font found in word because I think this might have been how historical books might have looked prior to the printing press. The last word that is supported by the font is Newspaper. I downloaded a typewriter font from dafont.com. For some reason I always associate typewriters with newspapers. I guess I have watched to many movies where journalist are writing newspaper articles with a typewriter.



The second set of words are not supported by the font. The first word is Handwritten. I used Garamond font from Word because in a couple of my classes the professors want the papers typed in Garamond 11pt font single spaced. To me this font is associated with the computer not handwriting. The second word is Organized. I downloaded a graffiti font from dafont.com. I think grafatti is often more associated with chaos or vandalism than organization. The third word is Halloween. I downloaded a holiday font with snow and snowflakes because that is associated with Christmas not Halloween. The last word I wrote is Modern. I used an Old English font because that is more associated with history or antiques. I also thought it would be neat to use the same font in both categories.

In this activity I download several fonts from an outside website because I thought it would be interesting to break out of the confines of the fonts provided by Microsoft Word. I still used at least one font from Word in each category. But I felt that the fonts in Word were more for writing papers than for design.

No comments:

Post a Comment