Monday, April 18, 2011

C.A.P. Section 2


Connotation
Does the visual style of this component tie in with the theme it ought to convey?
Everything in this blog is about the activities from the Design Basic Index textbook. I do not think there is really a theme to the overall style of this blog. Just different activities that highlight different techniques related to graphic design. And writing about what I did in each exercise.

Is every sub-component within the element working toward the same thematic goal?
Yes, Every part of this blog is explaining what I did for each activity. There might be a few places where I went on a little bit of a tangent but everything is about the activities.

Is its theme projected in a way that could be seen as to specific or overly broad?
I think this is more on the broad side rather than too overly specific. I tried to highlight what I did and what I was thinking in each section. I did not explain specifics. If I had to go back I would try to expand on each section to make it a little bit more detailed.

Could color, proportion, quality of finish or font choices within this graphic element be adjusted to better reflect its message?
I think things can always be adjusted and changed. Since we turned in the blog last time I tried to change some of the blog colors to make it look better. I changed it from all black to blue and grey. I still think it would look better with some lighter colors. If I get time I will change this before turning in. I think I cold also spend some time on each section making sure the quality of each is well done. There is unequal spacing between the images, some typos, and some things that are not explained well enough.

Would it be helpful to show the logo or compositional element to others to find out if they perceived it the same way as you?
Yes I think it would be important to see how other people perceive it. I think people tend to perceive different things differently. Especially if you are working on something, you may become biased. Either being overly critical or think it is awesome when it is not.

Attributes
Are you satisfied with the visual weight, structure, color, and presentational style of the logo or graphic element?
I think I could have done a better job with this. I think I could have done better with the structure. I did not add everything to the blog as we went along. I could not remember which parts we did when. So nothing is in chronological order. I was also looking at the activity sheet so I missed a few and had to go back and add them.

Could line work be thickened, made thinner or “roughed up” in order to better establish the element’s aesthetic and thematic integrity?
I think the lines around the images are too thick. If these were thinner I think it would look better. I do not think the “rough up” look would look very good on this blog. I wanted to go for the more clean, sleek, and organized look.

Is this graphic or typographic element associated with a backdrop?
No, the typography is not associated with the backdrop.

Have color options for each component been explored?
Yes, I have changed the colors since the last time I turned in the blog. I think the new color options make the blog seem neater and make the text easier to read.

Will the color scheme of each element fit in well with the scheme of the larger layout in which they are placed?
The color scheme of each blog post is the same as the overall layout. Each individual image is not the same color scheme as the overall layout but I do not think this would look very good if it was.

Is the element intended for broad use (i.e. logo)? If so, as it been designed in such a way that it can be presented in a wide variety of sizes and displayed in various sorts of media? Is the typography appropriately legible?
The is not designed for a broad use, just for the computer that has access to the internet. Blogger will scale to fit a variety of different size computer screens. For example my laptop computer screen is small and I can read everything fine. The commuters we use in classroom have a lot bigger screens and it still maintains good quality. Since this is on the internet someone with an internet compatible phone could access the blog and everything might be a little bit small. But the smartphones with internet access are designed to be able to zoom in so they would still be able to read it.

Is the text large enough for the intended audience to easily read?
Yes. The intended audience are the members of the class and the professor. Everyone in the intended audience is young and should be able to easily read the font. If there were senior citizens in my intended audience I would have made the font size larger.

Does the look and feel of the type connect with the overall message?
Yes. I used a san serif  font and it displays the neat and professional feel that I am trying to go for.

Is it time to look for new fonts?
I think different fonts could make this a little easier to read. But, I have not extensively studied fonts so I do not know what ones would be better. I have heard that san serif fonts are better for on screen reading and that is what I have. There is not that much text and I do not thing changing fonts would make a whole lot of difference. If I had a hand written font or an old English font then changing font would make a big difference.

Placement
Should this component be given a starring or supporting role within the layout?
In the blog all of the titles are in larger font and bolded to show that it is in the starring role. The text is left aligned with the images centered. All of the text that is supporting or describing the image is located beneath the image. At the very top of the post under the title there is a sentence describing what each activity is. This serves as an advanced organizer indicating to the reader what the objective of each post is.

Should it call attention to itself or go virtually unnoticed?
I think everything in the blog is important and nothing should go unnoticed. At the same time I did not want one thing to draw to much attention and take the interest from other parts.

What sort of placement should this graphic element be given within the composition?
All of the images in the blog are centered with the text describing it right underneath. This is done uniformly through the blog so the reader knows what text corresponds to what image and it is not a puzzle to figure out what image the text is describing.

Should its edges align with other elements within the layout?
I do not think the edges of the images should align with the edges of the text. I think it looks better with all of the images centered and the text left aligned. We are used to reading books and magazines with left aligned text.

If so, will it conform to the same alignment conventions that apply to other elements in the composition (flush left, flush right, centered, etc.)?
Every post in the blog conforms to the same alignment. All of the text is left aligned and all of the images are centered.

Should this element be visually grouped with others for conceptual and aesthetic gains?
I do not think all of the elements should be grouped together. I think it is better to have the images with the words in between them than to have all of the images grouped together at the top and all of the text grouped together at the bottom or vice versa.

Once placed within a layout, should the element be further cropped, rotated, moved, sized or altered in any way?
I think it would look better if all of the images were the same size. Some of the images are larger than other images but I did not know how to change this.

No comments:

Post a Comment